Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Goals

Happy May Day! I have finished my grading and submitted my grades, and I have packed up and cleaned out my campus office. Now I'm switching gears and getting ready to go into research mode. Because May promises to be something of a different month from the routine, I'm setting a limited number of goals this month. In no particular order, here they are.

1. Run half-marathon number 9. I'm running the Capital City Half-Marathon in Columbus, OH with a friend this Saturday. I'm not in the best shape for it, and my only goal is to finish this one.

2. Make the best possible use of my archival time in Madrid and spend 30 minutes or so each day writing up summaries of the day's findings and noting where they might fit into the manuscript.
The Biblioteca Nacional - Sala Cervantes
3. Take lots of photos. My archives don't allow photographs, but that doesn't mean I can't take photos on the way to and from the archives. I'm also planning to take one or two little day trips on the weekends that I'm there.

4. Stay active. I know that most Americans lose weight when they visit Europe, but experience has shown me to be retrograde in that area, so I want to make sure that in addition to walking around, I continue to run and do yoga. I'd like to go for at least 10 runs and go to at least 5 yoga classes while I'm in Madrid.

5. Spend time with friends and visit favorite spots in Madrid. It will be my first chance in over three years to see friends that I made during the time that I lived in Madrid, and I can't wait to catch up with them over cafe con leche or a caña!




















What are your May goals? Academics, are you done with your semester yet?

9 comments:

  1. Number 4--I think would be hard b/c of all the fabulous food there is to eat in Europe! The active part maybe a bit easier b/c you would tend to walk more I would think?

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good time at your half! May is going to be an exciting month with your trip to Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have Fun in SPAIN!!!!! May sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the cañas! I sometimes even order a cañon! Yes, I know, I am out of control.

    That is so awesome that you are done and are heading to Spain! You are going to have so much fun and I am very jealous. I was in Madrid at this time exactly two years ago. And I had such a good time, and I know you will too!

    May is busy for me too; I have races on three of the weekends, I have a trip to see my parents planned, as well as a mother's day/birthday bonanza and Mr. Lovely is heading out here for the summer, so we have that to get ready for as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Great that Mr. Lovely will be around for the summer! Good luck with your races!

      I will drink a caña in your honor.

      Delete
  5. How awesome to be done already! Is it slightly bittersweet given the upcoming move? It is for me- happy to have a tenure track job but sad to leave the place where I essentially grew up academically after grad school.

    I have finals this week, a trip to the Derby, and 2 May research deadlines. I actually feel a bit more stressed out than normal right now because of the flurry of research deadlines, I miss the after-semester week off in grad school when I would go to the movie theater, mall, and read craptastic magazines. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid.

    Have a great research trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it is rather bittersweet. There have been a lot of things that have sucked about being in the liminal space that contingent faculty inhabit, but I have loved my students, and really enjoyed getting to work with a number of my colleagues. I definitely feel like I have learned a lot during my time here about the kind of teaching I want to do and occasionally have glimpsed how I might balance that with my scholarship.

      Have a great time at Derby!

      Delete
  6. That is a great set of goals. I am glad you are going to focus on soaking up your time in Spain, by taking photos and focusing on spending time with friends!

    My goal for May is to maintain my sanity while fitting in 90+ hours of studying. And to keep running. And to focus on the little things in life that bring me joy. And ultimately on May 31st, I want to feel totally prepared for the exam, which I will take on June 2nd...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whee, what a month you have on the horizon! It's so interesting and funny and strange for me to think about the kind of research you do (or that my man-friend does--he's a book historian). Research without experiments? It's so wild! Matt and I have a lot of fun comparing notes about our research adventures. He can sit and read all day and call it research, but for me, research is flies and data and more flies and more data. My work is so physically active that reading, by comparison, feels easy and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.