In the past couple of weeks, plans for my first research trip of the summer have begun to take shape. At the end of the term, I will be taking off for a month of research in Madrid. After some hemming and hawing about dates and prices, I booked my plane tickets. I'll be flying from Columbus (where I'll be running a half-marathon) to Madrid on May 7th and will be there until June 3rd. Now I'm in the process of formulating my plan of attack for the archives. At the moment I am planning to essentially split my time between the Biblioteca Nacional and the municipal archives with possibly a few days in the Archivo Histórico Nacional.
 |
| Madrid Skyline. This photo was from my last trip to Madrid in 2009. |
I have also found accommodations for my stay. It has worked out that I'm going to be able to rent the flat of some good friends for the month that I am there. It really was serendipitous for me because I was on the verge of committing to a much more expensive place when I got on skype on a Saturday afternoon and my friends happened to be online and notice my virtual appearance. They informed me that the person who they had already been planning to rent to this summer was not going to be able to come to Madrid after all and asked if I still wanted to stay at their place. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance. I was a little apprehensive about committing to a place without seeing it in person first and had been trying to coordinate with a couple of friends in Madrid so that they could go check out this apartment for me. I'm also really happy that it worked out because they are giving me a generous deal in terms of the rent and because their place is in a pretty central location. This will make it easy for me to get to the archives during the week. I'll also be relatively close to my favorite park in Madrid, which should make for some good running.
 |
| Retiro Park |
I'm rather sad that my spouse won't be able to come with me on this trip, but I am looking forward to getting back into the archive routine, drinking cafe con leche, and eating tapas. I'm also really looking forward to going to some yoga classes at the studio I went to when I lived in Madrid and to seeing friends that I made during the year and a half that I lived there. Less than four weeks stand between my trip to Madrid and me. Unfortunately, there will be lots of marking to do in those four weeks. Fortunately, I am getting on a plane and going to Spain when I get done with grading those stacks of papers.
lucky youm enjoy Madrid, there is much shopping to do and lots to see as much in Madrid as around ( Toledo, Aranjuez, etc.)
ReplyDeleteOh, this is so beautiful! Wow! Excited for you!!
ReplyDeletegreat photos - beautiful place
ReplyDeleteCheck out my GIVEAWAY - http://yajairasfashionnotes.blogspot.com/2012/04/200-followers-giveaway.html
yajairasfashionnotes.blogspot.com
What a wonderful thing to have on the horizon! I was able to spend 1/2 a day in Madrid last year and I was really impressed, it's on my list to return someday.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your housing worked out so well - that's always my least favorite/most stressful part of planning a research trip!
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Getting on a plane to Spain will be the greatest reward for getting through all of your marking! I am glad that this trip worked out - especially that you found great, central accommodations. I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about this trip.
ReplyDeleteThat's so exciting! The next four weeks is going to go by fast. I am so happy that you found a place to stay, as that is one of the biggest pains in my life when moving to a place, especially short term like that.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! Working in the archives must make you feel integrated into the city in a much different way than a tourist. And you know the city already so will jump right into rewarding routines. I'm assuming you speak Spanish (and read it, which must be what you're doing in the archives).
ReplyDeleteWe're also heading to Europe in a few weeks, but not for work. Like you, though, I first have to get through big stacks of marking, but after that, ah, such a reward!
It just sounds like it is going to be the most wonderful and productive trip.
ReplyDeleteAh, exciting! I'm glad to hear the housing question has been solved in a very pleasing manner. And of course, I'm just tickled that you'll be able to spend a month in Madrid. Have a blast!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! Any chance you'd want to write a guest post about running in Madrid (or about eating tapas - or both!) while you're there? :)
ReplyDeleteHave a great trip, sounds like you have some excellent plans! I have family roots in that city, I hope someday to visit, if I do I know who to ask about the best places to hang out!
ReplyDeleteI think it sounds wonderful, all but missing your husband! What a fantastic opportunity!
ReplyDeleteJust so envious :-) I bet you're going to have an awesome time.
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you want to meet up for a weekend and go for a run:)
ReplyDeleteCome to Madrid! I don't think I can do Barcelona this time.
Delete