Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hola from Madrid

Hola! I arrived in Madrid yesterday morning after one of the weirdest and most annoying flight experiences I've had. To make a long story short, the guy that I was sitting next to on the flight was annoying and invading my personal space and ultimately tried to get a little bit handsy. I had to tell him off - after which there were no more issues with him - but I basically got less than one hour of sleep on the flight. After what seemed like an interminable voyage, we landed. After I made it through passport control and collected my luggage, I took a bus to the train station at Atocha to meet a friend of the friends whose apartment I'm renting. My cell phone wasn't getting any signal at all, so I had to ask a nice woman on the bus to let me use her phone to make the call to let my friend's friend know that I was arriving. The woman was very friendly about it and that helped to get the bitter taste from the flight out of my mouth. Soon the friend arrived at the meet up point and gave me the key. I, then, headed to the apartment to settle in and take a bit of a nap.

I spent part of the day running a few errands - acquiring a Spanish cell phone and doing a little bit of grocery shopping - and part of the day walking around and taking some photos so as to try to keep myself awake until I could reasonably go to bed, sleep for 8-9 hours, and get my clock mostly reset. After a while I headed back and made myself a sandwich, watched a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey, read for 10 minutes, and went to bed.




This morning I got up and headed to the Biblioteca Nacional, arriving just as it was opening at 9:00. I had to get my reader's card renewed, which was something of a process because I had my passport on me but I wasn't carrying my driver's license or my faculty ID. (It doesn't seem wise to carry all my ID around with me.) So it was a bit of a process to get that sorted out. But before long I had a sermon from 1649 in my hands, and was at work in a beautiful and inspiring work space once again. So all was well.

Right now my only complaint is that I haven't figured out the trick of getting the pilot on so I don't yet have hot water in the apartment. I took a very fast and quite cold shower yesterday. I'm hoping that I can figure it out tonight because I'd really like to go for a run tomorrow, but I don't want to get too sweaty until I know that I can take a hot shower.

12 comments:

  1. Eww, yuck on the annoying guy on the plane, creepy! Things should only go up from there with your trip though, enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the weirdo guy! Otherwise sounds like a fun adventure so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck getting the pilot light lit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap--I step away from the blog world for a few weeks and you've gone to Madrid! That's awesome!! I can appreciate your thrill at having great working conditions and access to materials. Enjoy every minute! Also, congrats on another great race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you are there already! Hurray! Do you have a boiler? I remember the first time I had a boiler I had trouble getting it started as well! Have fun and don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madrid! I'm happy to hear of your safe arrival, and keep those gorgeous pictures coming! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAYYYY you're in Madrid! So exciting! Sorry to hear about your journey there (ick) and the lack of hot water, but glad you're already settling in. Somehow doing simple things like reading a book/watching TV always make a foreign place feel more comfortable quickly. I feel like Italy felt like home when I had lived there for months and actually would catch up on "The Office"/stay in bed late on Sunday morning with a book because I didn't feel this constant need to GO SEE EVERYTHING and could actually relax. Anywho, ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you get that pilot light lit so you can get a run in tomorrow morning! How beautiful it is there, and if it's another day tomorrow like it was when you took the photos, a run would be awesome! So happy to hear you're settling in already, and love seeing the photos. Looking forward to more updates! XOXO S

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lot to go through, isn't it, the whole flight, new surroundings, jetlag. . . Worth it, obviously, but it takes a toll.
    But the work in that setting sounds very cool and by now I'm sure you've had your hot shower -- enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Two very typical Spanish problems: you need MORE id and have no idea how to use the hotwater heater! I hope you have a great trip, Raquelita!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos!
    I hope you've gotten the pilot light issue sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awfuol that you had such a terrible seat mate. :( Bleh.

    Oh my word, the photos are gorgeous! Please continue to share them! I need to live vicariously through your adventures!

    Hope you figured out the pilot light! Cold showers are BRUTAL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.