![]() |
| I really like this motto. For running and for life. |
While I was waiting in Corral C for the race to start, I ran into a former student who I knew was running the race and chatted with her for a couple of minutes before getting into the zone. I decided to line up with the 2:20 pace group and see how things went.
Before long the gun went off and soon we were across the start line. I kept pace with the 2:20 group until mile 4 and then I dropped back a bit. The humidity was bothering me a bit and my lack of real conditioning was starting to make itself felt. I did manage to stay in front of the 2:25 pace group for the next few miles, until around mile 7 I walked for a few minutes to take a GU and to let it settle. The GU revived me and I had a solid next couple of miles. During mile 10-11 I realized that I was feeling uncomfortably water-logged and that I really needed to urinate. I stopped for a quick biffy break at mile 11 and lost a couple of minutes. I then settled into a 4:1 run-walk routine until about a half mile out from the finish line. I crossed with an official time of 2:33:19.
My friend rocked her first half and finished in 2:30:42. I'm really proud of her and, even though we didn't actually run the race together, I'm so glad that I got to watch her finish (she was in a later corral so she finished after me even though she had a faster time) and that I got to be a part of her first half-marathon experience. After we made our way through the finish line, we went back to my friend's place to clean up and get on with our day, which included a trip to Pattycake Bakery to have some delicious post-race treats.
So, although I was not thrilled with my performance and struggled physically during this race, it was a fun event. The water stops were plentiful - there was essentially one every mile. The route was scenic and a fun way to experience a city where I used to live. The volunteers were friendly and the bands and deejays along the course were lively and entertaining. There was a lot of food at the finish line, including bagels, bananas, oranges, and chocolate. It was a sold out event with 13,000 participants between the half, quarter, and 5K, and it was a pretty great way to spend a morning.




Congrats on another race! I'm always very impressed by the distances you run! And yay for friends/treats at the end :)
ReplyDeleteAdmirable work, especially in consideration of your recent oral surgery and a busy end to the semester!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on another race and solid performance. Thanks for explaining being able to watch your friend finish too...I was confused when I read that! :) I hope you enjoyed your post-race treats, those bakery items look delicious!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you struggled some but so glad you had a hood time despite the discomfort! Dang woman, racing two weeks after oral surgery - you are hard core!!! Congratulations on another race!
ReplyDeleteNice job! I think that is a fine time, considering everything else you had going on. (Oral surgery is no joke!) To me, the point of races isn't the actual race - it's the motivation to keep running, training, and pushing myself. So in that sense, you absolutely won!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love that quote. Thanks for sharing it!
Nice! Sounds like a fun morning.
ReplyDeleteGood job! I know you have not has as much time to train this time, but I think you did a wonderful job even so! I wonder, are you sore today? I know that the one time I did not train as much for a half marathon (NYC) I was so sore, the same day and much worse the next day! Those post race treats look good!
ReplyDeleteIn terms of my legs, I was a little bit sorer than I typically am after a half. Mainly I noticed that because I got tired early in the race my posture wasn't so great and my shoulders and core muscles were pretty sore the next day.
DeleteI am glad you had a fun time, even if it was a tough race for you. Bouncing back from surgery is tough, so I am impressed you pulled it together and did this race. Those treats look delicious!!
ReplyDeleteThe subject of races came up the other night in my American Literature class. At least three of my students had completed full marathons...and the wheels in my sedentary brain (located in my rear) began to turn...
ReplyDeleteI've completed two full marathons, which is one of the reasons why these less than stellar half-marathon performances get me a little bit.
DeleteHey darlin! Your racing ambition always impresses me. I've never run two long races (half or full marathon) in one year, let alone over the course of a few months. I'm glad you enjoyed the overall experience, even if the race posed challenges. It's tough to find a balance between pushing ourselves to achieve and being happy with what we can accomplish on any given day. As academics, we're sort of professional critics, and I personally struggle with disappointment that I've inflicted on myself. I suppose what I'm trying to say is this: every race you run is a victory and a gold star, no matter what the clock says.
ReplyDeleteIt might be more of a racing addiction than a case of racing ambition.... But thanks for the gold star!
Delete