This weekend I took a train up to Boston to see some friends and do some more exploring in one of my favorite US cities. My former roommate/best friend from graduate school and his husband met me at the train station and we headed out to dinner at The Beehive. We had been thinking that we might stay for the live music that was beginning at 10pm. However, we ended up being seated outside, which was lovely because the weather was perfect and the setting was very pretty. After a round or two of drinks and dinner, we decided that it might be nice (as well as budget-friendly) to go back to their place and have another glass of wine on their balcony instead of staying for the music. We had a wonderful time catching up.
On Sunday morning I met up with my dear friend and running buddy, Suzie, who has recently relocated to Boston. I felt like I hadn't seen her in forever. She had moved before I returned from my research trip to Madrid, and, while I attended her wedding just a few weeks ago, we weren't able to spent much time one-on-one then. We had brunch at Mr. Crepe in Davis Square, and it was so nice to just spend a couple of hours chatting about everything - from our sadly low mileage summers to our new jobs and homes.
After a brief doggy interlude with Bailey's best friend, Abbey, back at my friends' house, we went to peruse the remainders at the Harvard Bookstore, have some frozen yogurt, and pick up some supplies at Whole Foods. We then met up with another friend and were later joined by Suzie, her husband, and some of his coworkers on the Commons for a production of Coriolanus. We had been worried that it might storm, but the weather turned out to be perfect for sitting in a park and eating carrots, hummus, cheese, and grapes. The performance was excellent with particularly strong showings from the actors who portrayed Volumnia and the Tribunes of the Plebs.
We headed our separate ways after the play, as most of our group needed to get up early in the morning. My best friend and I decided to have a couple of glasses of wine and chat for awhile out on his balcony when we got back to his apartment, and it ended up being one of those four hour conversations that you still want to keep having even when your eyelids are starting to droop. I was and am very glad that I made the decision to go to Boston for a couple of days. We just don't get to see each other enough.
This morning one of our friends picked us up and we went to Quincy for a tour of the Adams' homes and the church where John, Abigail, and John Quincy are all entombed. Unfortunately, one of the park rangers liked to editorialize and came off as a bit of a misogynist. However, that was not enough to prevent me from marveling at the amazing library or to ruin the experience of seeing the spaces in which they lived. I was reminded of how much I admire the career of John Quincy Adams and how eloquent the correspondence between Jefferson and Adams was. In the afternoon we headed back into Boston and I was dropped off at South Station to catch my train back to New York.
Do you like to travel by train? Have you ever attended a performance of Shakespeare in the park?
That dress you are wearing is beautiful! Love! Sounds like a fun weekend. I am glad that you got to spend some time up in Boston with some great friends. It all sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI do enjoy train travel. I took the train from Seattle to Vancouver and thought it was an awesome way to travel. I also took the train around in Europe and it's so slick, fast, and easy over there!
Gorgeous pic of you in that dress! Great composition - love the house and the sky picks up the tones of the lovely dress.
ReplyDeleteYou look wonderful in that dress!
ReplyDeleteAnd how you've maximized your city time, squeezing so much visiting to make the most of your travel.
As for train travel, I love it in Europe. Here the networks are not as extensive, of course, and the price can be high, but I've gone from Seattle to Portland and from Ottawa to Montreal and to Toronto. Years ago, we rode from Prince Rupert to Edmonton -- sadly, the train went through the Rockies at night. Also, sadly, travelling with three little ones (trip was before our son was born) is not an experience to endear one to train travel!
It sounds like you had a great time and some good weather! When I was there it was really hot and humid. I spent most of my days drinking iced coffee and sweating. I am glad that it settled down a bit for you.
ReplyDeleteI like to travel. I have a list about a mile long of places I want to go! Unfortunately, right now I don't see any travel plans in the near future. So I will just keep adding to my list!
I do like traveling by train, though admittedly I've done so only over short distances in the US (longer distances in Europe only). It's nice to take the train to Chicago. I get to work, the kiddo gets to play, no one has to fight with traffic. Everyone wins.
ReplyDeleteWho doesn't love Boston? What a great, great city. I think I'm a bit too much of a country girl at heart to live in the city, but I'd love to get back to Boston for another visit. I also have some dear friends who live there :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to echo everybody else and say you look smashing in that dress! Gorgeous colors and pattern--you look amazing.
Yay! I'm glad you had fun and, like everyone else, I love the dress. I've always wanted to go to the Beehive: a couple of my friends play there regularly. I haven't done Shakespeare in the Park in Boston, but I went a couple of times in Central Park when I was quite young (and, little known fact, planning to become a Shakespearean)... I should check it out in my new hometown, huh...
ReplyDelete