Thursday, August 16, 2012

Yogic Intersections

When I was in New York last month, a friend, who I hadn't seen for almost five years, happened to notice a status update on my FB page and realized that I was in Manhattan. It turned out that she moved here a few years back. (Since she doesn't post all that frequently on FB this had escaped my notice. I actually thought that she was in Panama.) Because it was getting toward the end of my trip, we decided to postpone meeting up until I was back this time. Last week she suggested that we get together one evening for a yoga class at the studio that she regularly goes to and then have a a bite to eat and a drink after and catch up. We finally did this yesterday evening.

We attended an open vinyasa class at the University location of Yoga Vida. There were some things that I really liked about the class: the instructor was able to impart meaningful wisdom without being as intense or as ethereal as some yoga instructors I've encountered, the class was only an hour long so it was good for someone like me who has been out of the studio for a couple of years, and the price could not be beat - an unlimited week of classes for $10 with a free first-time mat and towel rental. Aside from the instructor, there was an assistant walking around and giving modifications and correcting poses. I got an amazing opening for me in my upper body in a twist thanks to her guidance and assistance. There were a couple of things that I didn't care for, though. The main thing was music with words playing at regular volume during corpse pose. I find it hard enough to let go of my thoughts in savasana without music playing. It was also a pretty crowded class, and I felt a little worried about bumping into people near me once or twice in certain poses.

After our class, we got some Greek food and chatted about Madrid and our lives since Madrid. It was great catching up with her and to see how different our lives are now from what they were just a few years ago. It was also really nice to have the extra push to make sure I got back on a yoga mat this week. I suspect that having a regular yoga date would keep me more accountable until attending classes a studio becomes more habitual. Do you have a yoga buddy or a friend that you meet to do cross-training with at the gym?

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I love the post title! Also, Greek food is one of my favorites. Yum.

    Your get-together with your friend sounds fantastic. I *wish* I had a yoga buddy, but I'm basically a solo athlete. That may change as I get older, so we'll see :-) I do exercise with friends as the opportunities present themselves, but the core of my work-out routines (running and biking) tends to be done alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great class, aside from the music and the fact that it was crowded! I went to a crowded class once and it was really uncomfortable as the room was just packed and I am new to yoga and thought - 'what if i tip over in this pose and fall on someone?' Ha.

    I don't really have a yoga or workout buddy. I think of my friend Amber as an accountability partner, though. I will usually tell her when I plan to get up and run at 5 the next morning because then when my alarm goes off, I think - 'get up. You don't want to have to tell Amber you didn't go.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like bliss. :)

    I also made it to yoga yesterday (for the first time in many months). I think you inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to run regularly with a friend but now do that solo. And my Pilates class is a small (6 or 7) group, some of whom I've got to know fairly well over the last 8 or 9 years. But I haven't managed to combine the social with the workout -- it's too tough to fit in the workouts without also trying to coordinate a visit, I guess.
    Over the last year, though, my husband has started doing yoga, and occasionally I'll go to class with him . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds nice. It's good you guys could connect! I don't have a gym membership, but I usually walk or hike with a friend once or twice a week. It's nice to catch up with her, explore the area and to get exercise at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.