I'm happy to report that another week of training is in the books, and, in spite of weather insanity, it was actually a pretty good week. It involved my first run in the double digits since May and plenty of good cross-training.
Monday - scheduled 3 miles hills. Actual 80 minute hike with M. and Bailey. We wanted to spend some time together out of the house and even though it was a little drizzly we decided to go explore a trail that's not too far from our neighborhood.
Tuesday - scheduled yoga. Actual yoga. I went to a 90 minute Vinyasa class at my local studio. With the wind starting to whip and howl, we spent a lot of time doing grounding poses that really activated our legs.
Wednesday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual 3.8 miles easy. After our power came back on, I took advantage of it by hopping on the treadmill.
Thursday - scheduled yoga. Actual rest -- unless you count spending about 30 minutes picking up twigs and small branches and mowing the front lawn. The fact that it wasn't raining meant that I really needed to take advantage of the opportunity to mow what was starting to become a savannah.
Friday - scheduled rest. Actual 10 miles LSD. I had a weird day of working while waiting so at the end of it I decided to just try to get my long run out of the way. It wasn't a great run but it wasn't a bad run either.
Saturday - scheduled 10 miles LSD. Actual yoga. Since I had done my long run the day before, I had free time Saturday morning to go to my studio for a 90 minute Hatha class.
Sunday - scheduled 3 miles recovery. Actual 2.5 miles with some hills at an easy pace with my new bear bell courtesy of the amazing Kyria. This was a fabulous run on a stunningly gorgeous day. The sky was blue and the air was crisp. I felt like I could have gone forever, but I needed to get back to do some cleaning around the house and food prep as we had a couple of friends over to watch football in the afternoon.
Total scheduled miles: 20
Actual miles: 16.3
Cross training workouts: 3
Up next for Week 4:
Monday - scheduled 4 miles tempo.
Tuesday - scheduled rest. (Originally my plan called for yoga here, but I'm taking the opportunity to meet with a new potential friend for a drink instead.)
Wednesday - scheduled 4 miles easy.
Thursday - scheduled yoga. (Originally my plan called for rest here, but I'm hoping to swap here.)
Friday - 3 miles easy.
Saturday - scheduled 8 miles LSD.
Sunday - scheduled yoga.
So I also need to start thinking about how I'm going to Zombify myself for the trail half that I'm running for training in just a few short weeks. I'm kind of thinking Sean of the Dead-ing it with black pants, a white shirt with some red splatters and a red tie since a Pride and Prejudice and Zombies get-up might not be ideal for running. Any thoughts?


You're doing so well -- right on track for your Half despite all the challenges of a move and a new position.
ReplyDeleteI've never done a costumed run. Can't really love the idea of running with extra gear, but I'm guessing it's fun. . . ?
Well done! I am glad the double digit LSD went well for you. Good for you for fitting it in on a Friday! And I am glad Kyria came through with a bear bell. :) Gotta keep you safe out in the wilderness in which you now live!
ReplyDeleteI have never done the whole costume thing but that is because I am so unimaginative. I usually ignore the fact that there are costumes involved if I do a Halloween race!
I am glad that you got the bell! Now you will be safe and sound in the mountains! I expect lots of beautiful photos of trails with no bears!
ReplyDeleteHave you heard about the Run for Your Life run? http://runforyourlives.com/ Half of the people dress as zombies and chase the runners and the other half run away from them! You could take some costume tips from them.
Oh, I'm happy to hear you had some friends over last weekend! That is excellent. And you are totally rocking the training plan--keep up the good work. Onward and upward!
ReplyDelete