Even though I still have a tree on my roof and still don't have any furniture in my campus office, I'm starting to feel more at home here. We still have some things to do - there are odds and ends to put away and hang, decisions to be made about attempting to repair our large desk, and taking a bunch of my boxes of books and files into campus once I have furniture there. However, getting mostly unpacked has really helped me to feel like I actually live here. I was really excited to start eating dinner at our table again after our furniture arrived and have actually enjoyed unpacking a lot more than I normally do after a move. Perhaps, absence really does make the heart grow fonder.
 |
| Our dining area |
Last week I even managed to unpack my special Japanese tea set that has been boxed up since a move seven years ago. My dad gave this set to my grandmother after he was stationed in Japan when he was in the army. She gave it to me during my first year of graduate school. The tea set is the only piece of material culture that I have that belonged to her, and looking at it reminds me of my dad's wanderlust and willingness to explore and travel.

The loneliness I mentioned last week hasn't completely gone away, but we're starting to get settled in, routines are starting to emerge, and I've had some social interaction off campus with people who aren't my husband. All good things. We had a few friends over to eat chili and watch some football on Sunday. Our friends K. and J. brought their dog Ellsworth with them. He is just as insane as Bailey, though it manifests in different ways. Bailey is starting to warm up to him, but she wasn't as enthused about his presence this past time as she has been the last couple of times that they hung out. It rather shows in this photo. While he looks zany, she looks dismayed.
How is your week going so far? Do you find yourself feeling either zany or dismayed?
So lovely!
ReplyDeleteWow, your dining area is so cheery! I really love that Japanese Tea set! I am glad you are getting settled in; I know that it is a little discombobulating when you don't have your stuff arranged the way you like it.
ReplyDeleteI love that dining room area, and that tea set is GORGEOUS. I am glad you have a place to proudly display it now. How lovely!
ReplyDeleteI am really happy to hear that there are friendships budding and you have had the opportunity to have people over. I am glad that's chasing away those feelings of loneliness.
My week is going ok. I am still struggling to come back from that case of bronchitis. I did my first run last night and it was HARD. I feel very discouraged after it and am hoping my long run goes well on Saturday and restores some confidence.
It looks like it's all really coming together - and I love the yellow colour! I've had some interesting career stuff over the past week so it's been a bit of a ride...
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Ha! I love your question of the day. It's been kind of a zany week, with lots of different things happening. Mostly I'm just tired today and ready for a weekend.
ReplyDeleteYour dining room looks so lovely and inviting. Who wouldn't be happy to eat in that space?!
"social interaction off campus with people who aren't my husband"
ReplyDeleteHooray!
Also, I should apologize. I laughed out loud at that line. (In empathy, of course!) I can remember the first time I had a lunch date with people not-my-husband after moving to Florida. I felt like a kid in a candy store!
I love my Hubby, as I'm sure you love yours, but we need other people in our lives! :)
Haha! My poor introverted husband has had to bear the brunt of my extroverted tendencies for the past few weeks so I think he's glad that I'm starting to have other people in my life.
DeleteThat yellow is amazing! It must be the happiest room in the house. I've moved recently, too, and have been more successful in the past week at branching out and spending time with people other than my husband. Makes it all the more special to spend time together. I'm having a hard time finding the energy and motivation to run because I'm still settling into a schedule, and while great opportunities keep cropping up, I really just wish I could settle into a healthy routine. So glad to hear you are, and I hope to follow not far behind!
ReplyDeleteI echo the love for the yellow walls! That dining room would make anyone smile. :)
ReplyDeleteI am feeling a bit zany lately myself - happy, but a little overwhelmed. I think I'm also finally starting to find my groove now that we're a whole month (!) into the semester. Hope things keep picking up for you - sounds like you're on your way to making Alaska a true home.
Ohh the yellow looks beautiful! I'm glad it's looking like home. :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove the bright dining area! So happy :) Always great to feel at home in a new place.
ReplyDelete