When I got up on Saturday morning, I almost just turned around and went back to bed. Followers of my 365 blog might guess that the reason for this was that it was snowing. I was a little bit concerned about the trails being slick and uncertain about going forward because I haven't run in wintry conditions since last February. I ultimately decided, though, that I really wanted to do the race. M. dropped me off at the race location headquarters, and I picked up my bib, drank a little coffee, chatted with a couple of other runners, and snapped a couple of pictures with my phone.
Before long, it was time to head down to the trail and race. The start was a bit chaotic and it was hard to hear the announcement to start and for a little bit I wasn't sure if I had started with the other 10K runners or with the 5K. Fortunately, I started at the right time. The snow flurries had more or less stopped and the ground was warm enough that the trail was clear with the exception of some puddles and some slippery muck on the bridges. My plan was to try to maintain about a 10:00/mile for the first 3 miles and then evaluate. I hoped that I might be able to negative split, but I didn't quite get there. The course was an out and back on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, which I've run on a couple of times. It was absolutely beautiful with all of the colorful foliage and the occasional vistas of the estuaries that were especially nice as the sky started to clear up. I wish I had photos, but I didn't want to stop running in order to take them. There were a few gradual hills, but only one at the end that was really annoying.
![]() |
| View from the Coastal Trail at a Different Spot on a Different Day |
M. and Bailey met back up with me at the finish. I went back into the local restaurant where registration had been held to pick up my jacket and my swag and grabbed a couple of pastries for later. The hard effort had made me feel like food might not be a good idea right away, so I didn't take advantage of the wider spread of foodstuffs. About an hour later, though, I was ravenous and ate a multi-course lunch.
Accomplishing my race goals for this local 10K gave me something good to say here -so huzzah for that! - and the race was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the Zombie half-marathon that's on the same trail here in a couple of weeks.
My plan for this next week is:
Monday - scheduled yoga.
Tuesday - scheduled 4 miles hills.
Wednesday - scheduled 5 miles easy
Thursday - scheduled 3 miles easy.
Friday - scheduled rest.
Saturday - scheduled 11 miles LSD.
Sunday - scheduled yoga.
What are your thoughts on racing in ice and snow? How do you feel about 10Ks?


Congrats on your 10k PR! I have very little experience running or racing in very cold conditions. Right now it's not an issue, but I would have to evaluate if I moved to a colder climate! 10ks are not my favorite distance, but they're slightly better than 5ks.
ReplyDeleteContests to you! Great job and a great view but can't imagine snow already!!!
ReplyDeleteNice job on your pr! Snow?? Oh, my... it's still in the 90's here. :(
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! As for the ice and snow, I don't love running in it for fear of injury. Even if I don't actually slip and fall, the caution against it seizes up my muscles and my gait gets altered enough that it can hurt in weird places afterward. I've run a Half Marathon before with too much ice on the ground for comfort, and I'm not a fan at all.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I did get a pair of yak-traks last year (not for racing, but for training runs) and we'll see if I get used to those. Luckily, we don't ever get much more than 2 or 3 weeks of snow, knock on wood.
Congrats on accomplishing your goal of not walking, and of beating your previous time! Here's to an October with fewer setbacks (for both of us) than September, and hopefully for gorgeous weather.
ReplyDeleteNice! Congratulations on a race well run and a good end to a hard month. I'm very happy to hear you had a good 10K--what a great distance. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to hear how your half goes later this season.
ReplyDeleteConsistent much? Wow! Congratulations on a great race; you ran smart and strong!
ReplyDeleteHmm, living in Texas I've never had the opportunity to race in snow or ice! I admire those of y'all who tackle it though!
Great job on beating your previous 10k and not walking! That's awesome! I don't mind running in snow, except that I hate it when it's wet and slushy; it makes for unhappy feet! Also, I used to run on the trails in the snow and hills can get dodgy and slippery! I am glad you went out and did it, no matter the weather. It gives you an idea of how strong you really are and reminds you that you are ready for the half!
ReplyDeleteNice work! You did great! Racing in ice or snow freaks me out. I am worried i woudl fall as I am accident prone as it is.
ReplyDeleteI like 10ks but have never really tried to run one very hard... I have done a couple of 10ks on Thanksgiving day, but not many besides that!
CONGRATS on your stellar run!
ReplyDelete