Monday, October 8, 2012

Halloween Half Marathon Training Week 7

It was exciting to follow my friends and blogging buddies through FB, twitter, and their blogs this weekend as so many of them were racing either the Chicago Marathon or the Twin Cities Medtronic Marathon. I loved feeling so inspired by them as I did my last long run of this training cycle yesterday, and I'll be seeking to carry their positive mojo into my own race week. Here's how my penultimate week of half-marathon training went down:

Monday - scheduled yoga. Actual yoga. I did a short 20 minute practice at home. I had considered going to a class at my studio, but M. decided that he needed the car because he simply had to have the iPhone 5....

Tuesday - scheduled 4 miles hills. Actual 3.5 miles with some incline work. My legs still felt pretty tired from the 10K last weekend, but I at least got in a run.

Wednesday - scheduled 5 miles easy. Actual 3.5 miles easy. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon grading papers from my survey class, so I was feeling pretty zapped by the time I hopped on the treadmill.

Thursday - scheduled 3 miles easy. Actual rest. I had something of a headache the entire day.

Friday - scheduled rest. Actual rest. I had hoped to make up the miles that I missed on Thursday, but my day was full and we had plans to meet up with friends for dinner and drinks in the evening that I didn't want to postpone or cancel.

Saturday - scheduled 11 miles LSD. Actual 20 push-ups and 20 squats. I overslept after having a few beers while out with new friends on Friday night, and my need to worship at the altar of the football gods meant that I wasn't going to go out for these miles later in the day.

Sunday - scheduled yoga. Actual 10 miles LSD. I felt solid on this run and it left me hopeful that, if there's no snow or ice, that I can run my fastest half of the year next Saturday.

Total scheduled miles: 23
Actual miles: 17 miles
Cross training workouts: 1

Up next for race week:

Monday - scheduled rest.

Tuesday - scheduled yoga.

Wednesday - scheduled 3.5 miles easy.

Thursday - scheduled 3.5 miles easy.

Friday - scheduled rest.

Saturday - Zombie Half-Marathon.

Sunday - scheduled 2 miles recovery.

In other training news, I've registered for the Vancouver Marathon (first race in a foreign country! woot!) on May 5th! Although it's still seven months away, I'm excited about the prospect of visiting Vancouver for the first time and running my third marathon.

Where's the most exotic location you've raced? Have you raced internationally?

6 comments:

  1. Looks to me like two perfect training weeks leading up to your half. Good luck with it--at least you needn't worry about the heat, right? And Vancouver would be a really, really great one to run!

    My most exotic race was a 35k "bush" run in the Blue Mtns. of Australia. Amazingly difficult, beautiful and surreal all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've set yourself up for a great half next week! I'm jealous of your Vancouver plans. I've never raced anywhere that I would consider exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You used one of my favorite words in this post: penultimate! Love that word!

    Nice work on this week! I had fun tracking all my friends that ran TC yesterday! I was on the plane when most finished, but it was fun turning my phone on and seeing a bunch of PR's!

    I have done a race in Canada (Victoria) and hope to do the Paris marathon in 2014. I think it's awesome you are doing Vancouver. Amber LOVED that race and I got to run a good chunk of it when I was there this summer and it's GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! Maybe we'll get to meet up in Vancouver -- I did that Half a few years ago, and I daydream about doing the whole thing . . . . hmmmm, maybe . . . as for exotic, nope, altho' another daydream involves the Marathon du Medoc, wine-drinking and all . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome that you are doing the Vancouver marathon! I have been there and it's beautiful; you will love it! I have never done a non US race, but I will someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo ... Marathon training commences! :) I will be hopefully attempting a full at the end of April ... will be fun to keep up on training during Winter to Spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.