Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October Goals

I'm happy to report that as October arrived so did a delivery of surplus furniture for my campus office. I now have a desk, a set of bookshelves, and a filing cabinet, so I can at least unpack some of my books and the research materials that I want to keep on campus. I'm going to buy a cheap bookcase for home so that I can unpack the rest in the meantime and decide after I get my new furniture installed in January whether or not I want to bring everything else into my university office or not. I'm also glad that the first snow has melted off and we might get atleast a few more days here  that resemble autumn more than winter.


My goals for the month are:

1. Work toward getting completely unpacked and organized. There will be some odds and ends that need to wait until the furniture install in January, but in the meantime I can finish hanging up other things and hopefully hire someone to fix my desk at home now that our insurance claim has been processed.

2. Devote a minimum of 15 hours a week to research. I have to finish the conference paper I'll be presenting at the end of the month. I also want to make progress on a couple of publication projects, in particular the co-edited volume that continues to haunt me and an article manuscript.

3. Make being active a priority in October. I'm aiming to run 80 miles this month, and I wouldn't mind running my fastest half-marathon of the year. I'd also like to go to at least 4 yoga classes before Halloween.

4. Maintain my food journal for the entire month. I really want to finish the year stronger with this goal that I set for 2012. If I journal every day for the rest of October, I'm going to reward myself at the end of the month with a new pair of jeans or pants.

That's it. October will be a busy month, but I'm hoping that it will be a bit kinder to me than September was. I'm also hoping for a fun Halloween and considering wearing a costume that day to campus.... Do you have any goals for October? Are you a Halloween fan?

10 comments:

  1. October is a big month for me! My goals are to leave my office by 4 pm at least twice a week so that I'm not staying late every day, submit all my job and post applications, and get moved into our new apartment. Unfortunately moving falls on October 31 and November 1 so I'm shelving Halloween this year - which breaks my heart because it's my favorite time of year and I started working on my costume back in June :(

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought seriously about dressing up for Halloween for work this year, too, but I can't figure out what!

    I don't think I've ever asked before... what field are you in? You mentioned in a comment not long ago that there were only like 5 positions in your field in the U.S. so that has me curious what you're doing all this research on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five for furniture! And good luck with your goals, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for office furniture!! And yeah, I feel you on feeling like October is going to be busy. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like some great goals for October, the beginning of holidays and all the parties/food that come with them. I like Halloween, but also just the pumpkins, leaves and chance to do fun things with family and friends. Just trying to get in the groove this month of school and work schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to hear about your furniture. I hope your office is already functioning. I have new computers and printer, but no desk to put them on :P.
    Good look on your goals, you're inspiring me to set some of my own. Beijos do Brasil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased you'll now be able to start settling into your office effectively, furniture and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed on the 80 miles!!! I was just looking back through my Daily Mile stats and know that 80 is definitely a 'benchmark' for most of us who are currently training for half or below. I would really like to hit that number too one of these months. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should definitely wear a costume to work. I love it when people do that. I am not a very festive Halloween person; I am just not that creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good set of goals. I am SO happy to hear that some furniture arrived for you at work!!!

    My goal for October is sort of to stay sane. I am in the midst of a 6 week stretch of work travel and have just really had it with airplanes, ignorant people in securities lines, and sleeping in different beds... but I'm at the tail end of this travel schedule!

    My main goal is to run a really strong race and finish with a smile on my face (and a shiny new PR!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.