Monday, February 17, 2014

The Plan for SLC

So…. February kind of got out from under me there. Since February is generally a crappy month for me, I won't complain about it already being more than half over. My biggest news is that I got a much needed hair cut -- it had been over six months -- and worked out my half marathon training schedule.


I will note that I didn't get around to picking a half marathon plan as early as I probably should have. However, I did run 5 miles on Sunday, so I'm more or less on track to move forward. Also it's kind of pathetic, but I'm pretty sure that was my longest run since I ran a 6 miler with the delightful Joanna last June when I was in St. Louis. That is all about to change, though. Here's the plan:

Week Mon Tues Wed - Speed Thurs Fri  Sat - LSD Sun - Recovery
1 Cross train Rest 3.5 miles Cross train 3.5 miles 6 miles 3 miles
2 Cross train Rest 4 miles Cross train 4 miles 7.5 miles 3 miles
3 Cross train Rest 4 miles Cross train 4 miles 9 miles 3 miles
4 Rest Cross 3 miles 3 miles Cross 7 miles Rest
5 Cross train Rest 4 miles Cross train 5 miles 9.5 miles 3 miles
6 Cross train Rest 4 miles Cross train 5 miles 11 miles 3 miles
7 Cross train Rest 4 miles Cross train 6 miles 12 miles 3 miles
8 Cross train Rest 4 miles Cross train 4 miles 9 miles 3 miles
9 Cross train Rest 3 miles Cross train Rest Race Day 2 miles

When coming up with my training schedule, I had to take into account the fact that I have a 12 hour day on Tuesdays this semester so that needs to be my rest day. I'll probably sometimes go to a yin yoga class with my friend Caro on Wednesday evenings as it's a nice way to stretch, slow down, and breathe midway through the week. During Week 4 I may trade one of my scheduled runs for a hike or a beach bike ride, as I'll be in Maui then. (I cannot wait!)

Are you training for any spring races? How long do you go between haircuts? 

8 comments:

  1. Just got into Broad Street 10 Miler (this is a family effort - I wouldn't have thought of it on my own)! Right now I can run maybe 4 slow miles so this will be interesting. I just printed out a similar training schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the haircut! And I love that yellow wall behind you. What a cheery color! I usually get a haircut about every 3-4 months. I try to stretch it as long as i can as I get a cut and color so it's expensive!

    I am FINALLY back to running and am hoping to do a 4 mile race in March with a friend that lives here in Charlotte. And then hopefully a 1/2 marathon this fall if my joints tolerate the distance increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are more organized and motivated for your spring half than I have been! I'll be curious to hear about the SLC race--I've never been to Utah and am looking forward to your race/trip report :-)

    PS I need a haircut too :-) Currently, I'm trying to decide between options: keep the length and cut some layers, go short again, or go REALLY short and get a pixie. Too many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great haircut! So much energy in that photo.
    I'm crazily regular with my hair cuts, as my curls collapse into a different overall shape and my roots show their grey (not prepared to go there yet) at about seven weeks. My stylist is always booked 5 or 6 weeks ahead, so I tend to book my next appointment -- sometimes the next two -- right while I'm paying for the current one. Funny, I complain about having to find time for other appointments, but that hairstylist time is sacrosanct me time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually go about six months in between, but I've been trying to be better and go every three. Loving that bejeweled sweatshirt!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute haircut and I love that yellow wall! I am training for a half in March, but I've been battling a back thing and seeing the chiro regularly, so my running has been very conservative. My goal is to run 13.1 miles without injuring myself. I felt pretty good after my 9 miler last week, so I appear to be on track!

    Good luck with your race/training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks for the shout out! I have no idea whether I've told you this or not, but because I joined a running group training for it, I've signed up for the SLC half. A meet-up may be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your haircut looks great! Your hair is getting so long again! I am a bad girl; my haircuts are few and far between. I think it's usually about a year between cuts. I know. Good luck with your training; it seems like you've got a good plan. I also like that you are willing to switch it around if need be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.