This past week was pretty busy. Unfortunately, it is the midterm grading season. I was able to work in some fun, though, this past week as it was Mark's birthday. I made him a layer cake during the week and took him out to dinner Saturday night.
Monday - scheduled cross training. Actual 3 mile run at an easy pace that averaged out to 11:52 min/mile. I threw in some walking as my legs were pretty tired from Saturday's increase in mileage and Sunday's snow shoeing fun.
Tuesday - scheduled rest. Actual rest.
Wednesday - scheduled 4 miles. Actual 3.5 miles at an average pace of 10:59 min/mile. My goal for this run was to throw in a few faster intervals and run at a pace that averaged out to faster than an eleven minute mile.
Thursday - scheduled cross training. Actual cross training. I did 20 minutes of weight lifting followed by 20 minutes on the elliptical machine.
Friday - scheduled 4 miles. Actual rest. I'm not sure running on Fridays is going to work for me during this training cycle. I have to leave for campus too early to get my miles in first thing in the morning, and I'm not really into the short turn around time before my long run on Saturdays. I think I may be dropping these Friday runs for the rest of this cycle and trying to replace them with a walk or a cross-training session.
Saturday - scheduled 7.5 miles LSD. Actual 7.5 miles. It was hard to get into the groove during this run, but I finished it. My average pace was an 11:28 min/mile.
Sunday - scheduled 3 miles recovery. Actual rest. I was feeling pretty rough around the edges in the morning, and we had plans with friends during the middle of the day and afternoon. I needed to get some grading done after that, so a run just didn't happen yesterday.
In other news, I registered for a local half-marathon in May. I haven't fully established where I will be in terms of my conditioning for the SLC Half -- especially since it will be at altitude. Right now my tentative plan is to use it as a fun training run for a more concerted effort at the local half a month later.
Total scheduled miles: 18.5.
Actual miles: 14.
Cross-training workouts: 1.
Do you adjust your training when you realize something isn't optimal for the realities of your schedule? What is your favorite way to cross train?

I can totally see why you want to change your approach to your training on Friday. I usually tried to make the day before my LSD a rest day or light activity day so my legs would feel fresh. My favorite cross training is probably body pump but I haven't been able to do that as my upper body can't handle weight bearing activity yet but hopefully it can handle it soon as it'd be great to add that into my cardio workouts.
ReplyDeleteYay for registering for May half marathon. I need to register for mine now that I've figured out which one it will be
ReplyDeleteI've been tinkering with my schedule lately, especially because the weekend's long runs sometimes leave me tired enough that I want an extra rest day and then workouts cascade into the latter end of the week. Right now, I'm also finding that yoga classes are suiting me for a variety of reasons better than Pilates, so I'm trying to balance that against the fact that I paid for a term of weekly Pilates class and should get the value out of that check.
ReplyDeleteYou're really doing well getting on track for your Half goals -- I continue to be so impressed with how you work around an ambitious work schedule (both the teaching and the scholarship) AND some tough weather!
That's a beautiful view! I totally change my schedule up...some weeks I add two workouts together so I can have an extra rest day, sometimes I shuffle things around due to social engagements...I just try to make sure the total mileage is the same. BUT, if it's not, I don't sweat it. The next week is a new week. As for cross training, usually that's either hiking or cycling for me. I need to do more yoga/strength work, but I am just not in the habit at the moment.
ReplyDelete